Thursday, June 25, 2015

Building a complete me-made wardrobe: Corporate wardrobe based on a men's wardrobe (Part 2)

 
 See my set for the interchangeable or minimum wardrobe on Polyvore
 
I reviewed two different posts regarding establishing a wardrobe for men on the Art of Manliness site. I was interested in the Interchangeable Wardrobe and How to Build a Manly Wardrobe, and then how these might translate into an equivalent wardrobe for women. I like the simplicity and versatility of the interchangeable wardrobe and then I can see how the second list is an 'end-goal' for a wardrobe that would be built up over many years. The mapping of the men to women's wardrobes are shown below.

Interchangeable Wardrobes


A Complete Wardrobe for a Constant Professional


Comparing the two lists

I thought it would be interesting to see how these two compared, since the interchangeable is a great entry point and stepping stone to a more fleshed out wardrobe. Due to the size of this image, it is best viewed by clicking on it to see it full-scale!


Pros and things I learnt

  • Good basics for a corporate wardrobe.
  • Highlights essentials in a men’s corporate wardrobe that can be transferred to a women’s wardrobe. I have a clearer view of the fabrics I should be selecting for my suits, trousers and shirts required to have a well co-ordinated and chic corporate wardrobe.

Challenges or Gaps?

  • No dresses or skirts.
  • Minimum casual and weekend wear.
  • Potentially lacking in colour, flair or personality?
  • Fewer combinations, due to the way females combine and layer clothing?
  • Undergarments missing (e.g. bras, layering camisoles and singlets).
  • After I put this list together, I came across The Daily Connoisseur and her focus on a 10 core item wardrobe. I have watched a few of her YouTube videos (1, 2, 3) and one of her wardrobes was around 14 items but this isn't everything in her wardrobe. I think that this is important, because the 'extras' that she mentions really allow a person to extend the rotation of the core 14 items and really flesh out the wardrobe. These include things like basic tees,
    sweaters & cardigans, outerwear (trench coats, blazer, jackets), special occasion wear, accessories (scarves, bags, shoes, sunglasses) undergarments, shoes and so on, which for my purposes are part of the wardrobe but I can see the benefits of the extras being fairly constant and the 10-14 items being rotated seasonally. I also love her focus on quality items that will last a long time and also how to care for your garments. Her concept is certainly food for thought and only adds more valuable information in my quest to build my wardrobe! I am still reading more about this one and will be sure to do a summary post (that will now be part 6!)

2 comments:

  1. To make someone love you, you must first change of attitude, the spirit and put it a little easier, natural facial expression, smiling, so that others will for you produced feelings of love.
    We should be able to say, "I have done what I can do.".
    A man should think about one thing at a time, and persevere, so that he can get it. But I think what I want to do, the result is nothing. Every time I found, when one of the pursuit of things with extreme ease, I am pursuing something else. It's too late.
    _________________________
    Still worried about the lack of the coins of FIFA16 ? Buy FIFA 16 Coins at http://www.fastfifa16.com/ We can satisfy all the coins you need.Besides, our service is among 24 hours..Trust me, it will be the best choice of you due to the high speed of our delivery and good quality of our product.

    ReplyDelete