Thursday, May 27, 2010

The start of something new

I’ve been a big lurker when it comes to blogs for a long time and I try to keep up with a lot of different blogs (thank-you rss feeds!) and I’ve contemplated writing my own for some time (mainly thanks to Julie and Julia, to the point that I started some but never posted … ever). So – here goes nothing!

I started sewing a little over a year ago for a few reasons. I have a lot of trouble finding clothes, particularly pants that are long enough for me and even when I do find them I have found RTW quality of tall clothing to be not so good. When I travelled to Hong Kong for my cousins wedding in 2008, I had the opportunity to have some clothes tailor made (pants, jackets and shirts). After experiencing a good fit (not perfect but still good!) I thought to myself "I can do this" and so my sewing adventures began! I've since have some work changes and travel which put my classes and sewing time on hold but am now back at it! I've also since had some pants made in Singapore (in 2009) which were a higher quality, fit and using beautiful pure wool fabrics, so I've taken all my experiences and added them to my sewing knowledge to determine what I want to be able to produce.

My goal is to be able to make my own wardrobe, with the exception of basics (t-shirts, singlets etc...) with a focus on making my own jeans, jackets and suits.

Somethings general about me -
* I love to sew but am still learning. My desire / goal is to be able to sew my own work clothes which means suits. I’ve made pants, skirts and half a shirt but not jackets so far. I have a big long list of items that I want to sew, so I’ll try to post that soon.
* I work in IT, so I would say that I’m a bit of a nerd but I’m ok with that :)
* I enjoy scrapbooking as a creative way of documenting the events in my life, both big and small.
* I love 1950's fashion, so I love watching Mad Men for the clothes but not for the way women are treated.

More to come, including what I’m sewing at the moment and what some of the pieces I’m planning at the moment! I might even try to put together a post of things I’ve made in the past (as much for my record as it is for your enjoyment!).

No comments:

Post a Comment